Saturday, June 28, 2014

A mess in Mississippi

Mark Mayfield, vice chairman of a Mississippi tea party group , apparently committed suicide after being arrested and charged for conspiring to help Clayton Kelly photograph Thad Cochran's senile wife in her nursing home.  I'm not sure what the specific charge is; I'm no lawyer, but I'm not sure how taking that kind of picture can be illegal, let alone merely conspiring to do it.  Was it classless?  Sure.  Politically stupid?  Definitely.  But illegal?  That one seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

So now a man is dead, and for what?  I can't even imagine what his wife and kids are going through right now.

Rightly or wrongly, people already upset about the underhanded tactics used by the Cochran campaign to eke out a win against Chris McDaniel are going to see Mayfield as some sort of martyr.  I've already heard people accusing Cochran of having Mayfield's blood on his hands; I've even heard some really outlandish conspiracy theories about Mayfield being murdered.  I don't think this bodes well for Republicans in November.  I'm hearing way too many people tell me that they are completely done with the GOP over all this.  It's possible that some of them could just be blowing of steam; I hope so, because I'd really like to see Harry Reid gone, and that won't happen if every tea partier casts a write-in vote for the Sweet Meteor of Death in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment