Saturday, July 26, 2014

Weird Al is a national treasure

Weird Al Yankovic has a new album called Mandatory Fun that he's been promoting the hell out of, and I have to say it's pretty damn awesome.  The first video released was for his song Word Crimes, which is a hilarious parody of Blurred Lines.  He also made a very funny parody of Royals called Foil.

Not all the songs on the album have videos yet, but I think my favorite of all the videos I've seen so far is Lame Claim to Fame, which is a completely original song that parodies the musical style of the band Southern Culture on the Skids:



I also enjoyed Mission Statement, which cleverly pokes fun at corporate speak while parodying the style of Crosby, Stills & Nash at the same time.  My Own Eyes (which doesn't have a video yet) is a wonderfully nonsensical song meant to mimic the sound of The Foo Fighters.  Lots of great stuff here.  There's a reason it's already a number one album.

No comments:

Post a Comment